Family concerts at Southbank Centre
It’s never too early to start enjoying orchestral music! Here you’ll find information about the LPO’s specially designed family FUNharmonics concerts. We’ll also tell you about family access to the LPO’s regular evening concerts at Royal Festival Hall.
Our FUNharmonics concerts are designed with children in mind, usually with the following features:
- A presenter or narrator introducing the music and concert theme
- Lots of audience participation
- Fun activities before the concert for ticket-holders, including opportunities to ‘have a go’ at musical instruments from the orchestra (for children 6 and over, ticket holders only)
- The concerts are only an hour long with no interval – the perfect length for a young audience
The age guidance for each performance depends on the content of the concerts, but most of them are designed for children aged 6 and over. You’re welcome to bring younger children along, but please bear in mind that the content of the performance – in terms of both the script, pacing and musical choices - will be aimed at older children, unless otherwise specified.
Next FUNharmonics concerts
- If your child is 2 or over, they will require a seat, and therefore a separate ticket
- If your child is under 2, they won’t require a seat, as they can sit on your lap
- There are a limited number of booster seats available. These will be allocated by Royal Festival Hall staff on a first come first served basis on the day.
- Buggies are not allowed into the Royal Festival Hall auditorium, but there is a buggy park in the Royal Festival Hall foyer on FUNharmonics days
- While these performances are more informal than our evening performances, we ask audience members to be aware of others’ enjoyment of the day
For children aged between 2 and 5, we recommend the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment’s OAE Tots workshops, which introduce younger music lovers to the instruments of the orchestra in a more intimate setting. OAE Tots workshops take place within the Royal Festival Hall building on the same day as the LPO’s FUNharmonics concerts, and require a separate ticket.
Evening concerts at Royal Festival Hall
We’d love to welcome you and your family to our evening performances! Evening concerts are suitable for children aged seven and over unless otherwise stated.
Our evening concerts are more formal, so everyone is expected to be able to sit still and remain quiet during the performance, unless there is an emergency.
We offer a 50% discount off full-price tickets for under-18s (max 4 tickets; not applicable to FUNharmonics concerts). This is a limited concession, with limited availability.
If an evening concert is too long, you could bring your family to one of our LPO Showcase series of inspiring free concerts at Southbank Centre.
All are welcome to join us for a variety of performances featuring musicians nurtured through our Education and Community programmes – Foyle Future Firsts, LPO Junior Artists and LPO Soundworks – as well as student ensembles from the Royal College of Music.