LPO Junior Artists: Overture
LPO Junior Artists: Overture Projects
LPO Junior Artists Overture projects are immersive events which take a hands-on, behind-the-scenes look at the world of a professional orchestra. You will become part of the London Philharmonic Orchestra for a day; meet LPO musicians and LPO Junior Artists, play as an ensemble, pick up tips on your playing and find out how to take your next steps as a musician. To take part in Overture activity you need to play an orchestral instrument at Grade 4+ standard and be aged between 11-14.
The LPO Junior Artists: Overture strand is connected to LPO Junior Artists - our exciting programme for talented musicians aged 15-19 from backgrounds under-represented in professional orchestras. Our free LPO Junior Artists: Overture Days offer taster activities to younger players, with the opportunity to find out more about the main scheme, meet current LPO Junior Artists and take part in a day of behind-the-scenes action with the London Philharmonic Orchestra.
During our LPO Junior Artists: Overture Days you will have the chance to:
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at the world of a professional orchestra
- Discover repertoire as an ensemble and in sectionals with LPO musicians and Junior Artists
- Explore creative improvisation
- Hear from a LPO musician about their musical journey and pick up special tips for your own playing
- Find out more about our Junior Artists programme from current members of the scheme and hear about other musical opportunities in your area
- Parents can also get involved - we run Q&As all about the work we do with young musicians and what you can do to support your child's instrumental learning
“I learnt what life is like as a professional musician – it’s hard work and exciting!” – Overture participant 17/18
The 2018/19 LPO Junior Artists Programme is generously funded by the Andrew Lloyd Webber Foundation with additional support from Virginia Gabbertas, Kirby Laing Foundation and The Radcliffe Trust and donors to the Chairman’s Appeal at the LPO’s 2018 Gala Dinner.