Foyle Future Firsts
The London Philharmonic Orchestra's Foyle Future Firsts annual development programme bridges the transition period between college and the professional platform for 17 outstanding young musicians.
Foyle Future Firsts 2020/21
We are delighted this year to be working with the following talented musicians as Foyle Future Firsts:
Inês Delgado – violin
Claudia Tarrant-Matthews – violin
Abby Bowen – viola
Alicja Kozak – cello
Thomas Morgan – double bass
Lucy Driver – flute
Bernice Lee – oboe
Isha Crichlow – clarinet
Emily Newman – bassoon
Flora Bain – horn
Nick Walker– trumpet
Merin Rhyd – trombone
Adam Collins – tuba
Fionnuala Ward – piano
Alis Huws – harp
Iolo Edwards – percussion
Luke Taylor – timpani
Foyle Future Firsts 2021/22
The disruption of the pandemic has prevented the 2020/21 Future First cohort from taking full advantage of opportunities to work closely with the Orchestra. It has therefore been decided that the group will continue on the scheme throughout the 2021/22 season. Additionally, to ensure that the benefits of the scheme are spread as widely as possible, some of the reserve participants from 2020/21 will become Foyle Future First Associate members, taking part in a selection of activity alongside the Foyle Future Firsts.
We look forward to continuing to work with the above members of Foyle Future Firsts 2020/21, and welcoming the following Associate members over the coming year:
Sophie Philips – violin
Julia Doukakis – viola
Alicja Kozak – cello
Richard English – double bass
Eleanor Sullivan – oboe
Lewis Graham– clarinet
Shing To Mak (Hugo)– bassoon
Timothy Doyle – horn
Elliot Phelps – trumpet
David Pitts – trombone
Aled Meredith-Barret – tuba
Hebba Benyaghla – piano
Esther Beyer – harp
Harry Lovell-Jones – percussion
About the programme
Our annual programme is designed to nurture and develop talented orchestral players, forming the base for future orchestral appointments to the London Philharmonic Orchestra and other world-class orchestras and ensembles.
Foyle Future First members are given the opportunity to:
- Rehearse Play alongside professionals in London Philharmonic Orchestra rehearsals throughout the year.
- Study Have lessons with London Philharmonic Orchestra Principals.
- Support Receive advice and mentoring from their LPO Principal.
- Audition Improve audition skills and etiquette throughout the year..
- Observe Attend London Philharmonic Orchestra rehearsals.
- Inspire Develop skills in creative leadership alongside London Philharmonic Orchestra players as part of the Education and Community Programme.
- Perform Perform side-by-side with London Philharmonic Orchestra members in two chamber performanes at the Royal Festival Hall, and in our annual concert, Debut Sounds, featuring new works from the parallel LPO Young Composers programme.
- Hear Discounted or free tickets for all London Philharmonic Orchestra concerts at Southbank Centre's Royal Festival Hall.
The Foyle Future Firsts Development Programme is not a full-time course nor is it considered equivalent to employment by the Orchestra. A bursary is offered to each participant with the expectation that participants are able to support themselves financially and undertake other work and/or continued study alongside their Future First committments.
The Foyle Future Firsts Development Programme is generously funded by the Foyle Foundation with additional support from the Barbara Whatmore Charitable Trust and The Thriplow Charitable Trust.