LPO Junior Artists
We are delighted to welcome the young musicians participating in LPO Junior Artists 2019/20!
Meet the members for 2019/20:
- From left to right
Dominic De Vivenot - clarinet
Beatrice Slocumbe - viola
Imaan Kashim - violin
Maya Baron - viola
Antonia Holloway - oboe
Pooja Low - flute
Sana Abu-Jabir - percussion
About the programme
LPO Junior Artists is a free orchestral experience programme for talented young musicians from communities and backgrounds currently under-represented in professional UK orchestras. The programme offers support, advice and professional insight to exceptional players of orchestral instruments, aged 15–19, and at a minimum Grade 8 playing standard. You become part of the London Philharmonic Orchestra family for a year, getting to know our musicians, staff and artists, as well as members of our New Talent schemes and former LPO Junior Artists.
“A priceless opportunity which has broadened my knowledge of the music world.”LPO Junior Artist 2018/19
LPO Junior Artists offers a range of activity designed to:
- inspire, support and develop your musicianship
- enhance important wider professional skills such as communication and audition technique
- provide experience and insights into the daily life of a professional orchestra, its artists and administration
- increase knowledge about studying at conservatoire or pursuing alternative musical pathways
- pass on your own enthusiasm and love of music to a younger generation
You can read more about the LPO Junior Artist programme from the perspective of one of our alumni here.
By participating in the programme, Junior Artists gain a unique understanding of the LPO and the orchestral profession, develop their playing and musicianship, and increase their confidence around their next steps in the world of music.
“The experience you gain is invaluable, from working with LPO players to talking to panels with artists like Sheku Kanneh-Mason and Angel Blue, and going to the office to see what goes on behind the scenes was amazing!”LPO Junior Artist 2016/17
We believe that talent is indiscriminate, yet people from certain backgrounds and communities continue to be under-represented in the orchestral sector. LPO Junior Artists aims to promote diversity and inclusivity in classical music as a whole, to lead eventually to a sector that is more reflective of the wider population.
What is involved in the Programme?
Our Junior Artists take part in:
- one-to-one instrumental sessions across the year with a player mentor from the LPO
- insight sessions about the music profession with inspiring external guests
- professional skills-building workshops
- mock audition experience
- ensemble performance projects
- administrative work experience
- visits to LPO rehearsals and concerts
- sessions with younger children to inspire the next generation of musicians through the Overture strand
What is the time commitment over the year?
LPO Junior Artists activity is spread over around 14 days between September and July each year. Most of the set programme will take place in half terms/holidays or Sundays in term time, and other parts of the scheme are scheduled in discussion with you (e.g. admin experience, Overture involvement). Some LPO concert visits may take place on a weekday evening.
How do I apply for LPO Junior Artists?
To apply, you need to make sure you are eligible in terms of musical experience and under-representation. You need to be considering studying music beyond school, and interested in finding out more about the orchestral profession. For guidance on whether you are eligible to apply please read the following document:
LPO Junior Artists - Application Guidance
“It’s really useful working with my mentor... the way he approaches orchestral excerpts is really interesting for me to see, as he’s the one who actually plays them in the orchestra professionally.”LPO Junior Artist 2016/17
The 2019/20 LPO Junior Artists Programme is generously funded by the Andrew Lloyd Webber Foundation with additional support from Virginia Gabbertas, Kirby Laing Foundation.