Applications open for LPO Junior Artists 2020/21
COVID-19: Recruitment for LPO Junior Artists 2020/21 will continue as planned. We are constantly monitoring the situation and will adjust the audition process as necessary. Information will be updated on this page.
We are delighted to welcome applications from talented young musicians for the fifth year of LPO Junior Artists.
Applicants need to:
- play an orchestral instrument at Grade 8 standard or above (not including piano)
- be aged between 15 and 18 on 1 September 2020
- be considering studying music beyond school or otherwise interested in a career in the orchestral music sector but not currently studying at undergraduate level
- be from a background that is currently under-represented in professional UK orchestras. This is something the applicant self-identifies, and eligible criteria may include, but are not limited to, under-represented racial, ethnic or socio-economic backgrounds, gender and disability/special educational needs
Applications must be supported by a reference from your current instrumental teacher via the online form here in order to be considered. This must be submitted by the application deadline of Tuesday 5 May 2020, 5.00pm.
All applications are considered on an individual basis. For guidance on whether you are eligible to apply we encourage you to read the following document
LPO Junior Artists Application Guidance
“It's a fabulous opportunity and you'll love every second!”LPO Junior Artist 2016/17
LPO Junior Artist auditions are friendly and supportive for all young musicians. You will meet an LPO musician and a member of the London Philharmonic Orchestra's Education and Community department. There will the opportunity to find out more about the scheme and for us to learn more about you as a musician.
We aim to audition everyone eligible who applies. It is likely that we will need to change the audition format to avoid face-to-face auditions. We are constantly monitoring the situation to follow goverment guidance and will ammend this page with updates on the audition process.
Auditions were originally due to to take place in mid-May 2020 and we will aim to stick to a similar timescale with any digital auditions. We will contact all candidates following application with the necessary information.
Full details of the audition requirements will be sent with your audition invitation. As a guide, you will need to prepare:
- two contrasting accompanied pieces of no more than 5 minutes each (accompanist provided)
- a short orchestral excerpt which we will send in advance
At the end of your audition there will be an informal chat with the panel to find out more about your musical interests and experiences and you can ask us any questions you may have about the programme.
Before applying please read the following guidance on applications:
Applications, including teacher reference, must be received by 5.00PM, Tuesday 5 May 2020.
The 2020/21 LPO Junior Artists Programme is generously funded by AT&T