Apply for Foyle Future Firsts
The London Philharmonic Orchestra's Foyle Future Firsts annual development programme bridges the transition period between college and the professional platform for 16 outstanding young musicians.
Foyle Future Firsts 2019/20: applications now open
We are now welcoming applications for the LPO's Foyle Future Firsts Development Programme 2019/20. The deadline for applications is 11.59pm on Wednesday 1 May 2019.
- Applicants must play one of the following orchestral instruments: (1 place per instrument unless stated):
Violin (2 places available), viola, cello, double bass, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, horn, trumpet, trombone or bass trombone, tuba, percussion, harp, piano.
- Applicants must be UK-based musicians who have completed an undergraduate or postgraduate music performance degree or are able to perform to an equivalent standard
If you are in your final year and will have completed your undergraduate studies by September 2019 then you are eligible to apply.
- Applicants without a performance degree must submit a written reference from their instrumental teacher. The reference form can be downloaded here and must be submitted by the teacher by Friday 1 May 2019.
- Applicants will need to have the right to work in the UK as a performer - a right to study visa is not applicable. Unfortunately we are unable to sponsor visa applications.
- Applicants must be able to support themselves financially and undertake other work and/or continued study alongside their Future First commitment. The programme is not a full-time course nor is it considered equivalent to employment by the Orchestra. A training bursary of £1000 is provided to each participant.
Please read the following document before starting your application.
Foyle Future First Programme Requirements
Please see below for Foyle Future First auditions dates. If you apply for the scheme please make sure you are available on the required date. Unfortunately, there is no flexibility to offer multiple dates or reschedule auditions. All auditions will take place in London.
We are unable to accept video auditions as an important part of the selection process involves meeting all candidates.
- Violin – Monday 8 July - AM/PM
Viola – Thursday 1 August - AM/PM
Cello – Thursday 18 July - AM/PM
Double Bass – Tuesday 9 July - AM
Flute – Monday 15 July - AM/PM
Oboe – Saturday 27 July - AM
Clarinet – Monday 22 July - AM/PM
Bassoon – Saturday 27 July - PM
French Horn – Wednesday 26 June - AM
Trumpet – Monday 29 July - AM
Trombone – Wednesday 10 July - AM
Tuba – Thursday 18 July - AM
Harp – Thursday 18 July - PM
Piano – Wednesday 3 July - AM
Percussion – Tuesday 25 June - AM
If you have not heard from us by the end of May, then your application has not been successful. We regret that we cannot contact all unsuccessful candidates.
How to Apply
Deadline for applications is 11.59pm on Wednesday 1 May 2019. Please ensure that your application is fully completed. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Foyle Future Firsts Development Programme is generously funded by The Foyle Foundation with additional support from The Mercers' Company, Fidelio Charitable Trust and The Barbara Whatmore Charitable Trust.